Dental Cleaning & Oral Health Exams in Valparaiso
providing exceptional customized & comprehensive dental care
Your Oral Health and the Connection to Your Total Body Health
Michael Drone Dentistry & Prosthodontics is committed to your oral health and maintaining good oral hygiene is one of the most important things you can do for your teeth, gums, and overall health. It is just as important to have bi-annual oral health care exams as you would with your medical exams or eye exams. Many underestimate the importance to maintain good oral hygiene along with total body health
and yet there is very strong correlation between oral health and total body health.
Healthy teeth and gums are essential in helping your teeth last a lifetime. Healthy teeth enable you to have a beautiful smile, increase in your self-esteem and are important for your overall well-being. Visiting your dentist twice a year may seem excessive to some people, however, it is imperative to eliminate the bacteria that is harboring between your teeth, along your gum line, and underneath your gums. A hygiene appointment is more than just a teeth cleaning. The best oral health investment you can make is a regular oral health care exam with our dedicated and highly skilled hygienists.
Schedule Your Appointment Today
Dr. Drone is a native of Wheatfield, IN and has been practicing dentistry since 2003 and opened his private practice in Valparaiso, IN in 2007. Dr. Drone earned his Doctor of Dental Surgery from Indiana University School of Dentistry and earned his advanced specialty degrees in Prosthodontics and Maxillofacial Prosthodontics from Indiana University School of Dentistry and Medicine.
Call Our Office Today At (219) 462-2564
Reasons for Teeth Cleaning
Gingivitis and periodontal disease occur when bacteria from dental plaque colonize on the gum tissue, at the gum line and below the gum line. The colonies of bacteria produce toxins which destroy the gums, the jawbone bone and can cause serious inflammation and irritation causing detrimental effects to artificial joints and organs like the kidneys, liver, heart, stomach, and pancreas. When the gum tissue and jawbone are affected by the toxins from the gingivitis or periodontal disease, the teeth shift, become unstable, or completely fall out. The pockets between the gums and teeth become deeper and harbor more bacteria which then travel throughout our bloodstream and begin to infect the body organs. A prophylaxis is normally recommended twice a year and is an excellent procedure to help keep the oral cavity in good health and also prevent the progression of periodontal disease. If one is diagnosed with periodontal disease then a different therapy know as root planning and scaling along with periodontal maintenance is required to prevent the progression of periodontal disease. Patients diagnosed with periodontal disease will need to be seen by the hygienist three to four times a year.
Committed To Your Oral Health
At Michael Drone Dentistry & Prosthodontics our hygienists are specially trained in the following areas: preventive care, oral cancer screening, treatment of minor and advanced gum disease, mouth-body relationships, general dentistry, implant dentistry and cosmetic dentistry. Our hygienists are here to help you achieve and maintain exceptional oral health by providing you with oral hygiene instructions, hygiene techniques, photographs, and customized oral health videos.
Our hygienists are in several dental hygiene study clubs and are dedicated to continuing education at the highest level. Dr. Drone is always pursuing the latest technology and scientific evidence to make sure patients are receiving the best dental care. Your oral health care exam will consist of a full hour with the hygienists to ensure the most comprehensive oral hygiene care. Dr. Drone will perform a dental examination and cancer screening exam at your oral health care appointment as well.
Benefits of Oral Health Care Exam
- Prevention of cavities: Our hygienists will remove the bacteria that are near the gum line, below the gum line, and in between the teeth that cause dental cavities. Dental cavities are a disease caused by bacteria, and these bacteria will cause a “hole” inside the enamel of a tooth. The decay will need to be removed and a dental filling will need to be placed. With routine visits to Michael Drone Dentistry & Prosthodontics, our highly trained hygienists will educate how to properly care for your teeth and provide many oral products and hygiene techniques to keep your teeth healthy.
- Prevention of gum disease (periodontal disease): Research indicates that patients are more likely to have healthier gums and keep their teeth significantly longer if seen routinely for oral health care exams. Our hygienists will remove the bacteria from the gum tissue that causes gingivitis and periodontal disease.
- Boost your overall health: Many health problems are first identified by a dentist. Good oral health can prevent serious nutritional and systemic problems such as diabetes, heart disease, strokes and stomach disorders. Dr. Drone and our team of hygienists can provide recommendations for modifying your home care regimen. In addition, good oral health is critical for your appearance of your smile, ability to chew and digest nutritional foods.
- Brighten your smile: After the hygienist polishes the superficial stains during the oral health care exam, the teeth will appear whiter and brighter.
- Freshen your breath: Some of the most common reasons for bad breath (halitosis) are the bacterial toxins from tarter build-up, gingivitis and periodontal disease. With routine oral health exams the bacteria will be disrupted and removed from the oral cavity and eliminate bad breath. There are several oral healthcare products that can help eliminate bad breath between your routine visits.
What does the Hygienist do at the Oral Health Care Exam?
- Review and evaluate your medical history and dental history. There is much evidence regarding what is more commonly known as “mouth-to-body correlation.” The hygienist will be screening for several correlations such as heart disease, vitamin deficiencies, diabetes and acid reflux.
- Necessary digital radiographs are essential in early detection of dental decay, evaluation of your teeth, jawbone and gums, detection of any infections in the jawbone, and evaluate any existing or current dental care such as fillings, crowns, bridges, veneers, root canals and dental implants.
- An intra-oral and extra-oral exam will be performed at each oral health care exam by Dr. Drone and one of the hygienists.
- Our hygienists will screen for dental decay and screen for your risk of developing decay using several of our state-of-the-art technology available at Michael Drone Dentistry & Prosthodontics.
- With dental microscopes, high definition intra-oral cameras and digital radiographs, our hygienists will look for any dental problems including cavities, broken fillings, compromised teeth with large fillings, gum disease, teeth with fractures and discuss the findings with Dr. Drone.
A prophylaxis consists of the following three stages:
- Supra-gingival cleaning: our hygienist will thoroughly remove any plaque and bacteriaabove the gum line with customized hand hygiene instruments.
- Sub-ginigval cleaning: This stage is the most important because bacteria harbors below the gum line where the toothbrush and floss cannot reach. Piezo ultrasonic scalers are different and more effective than routine hand scalers. The piezo ultrasonic scaler delivers high frequency vibrations with a combination of water and/or periodontal medicaments and this action disrupts and removes toxic products such as bacteria,
biofilm, calculus and other endotoxins beneath the gum line or inside the gum pockets.
- Medicaments: Following supra-gingival and sub-gingival cleaning antimicrobialmedicaments and fluoride are placed into the gum pockets and below the gum-line. Removal of the endotoxins along with the placement of antimicrobial medicaments can help decrease any sensitivity and promote health the healing any gum pocketing areas.
- After the prophylaxis is completed your teeth will be gently polished to remove any stains that are remaining.
If during the appointment one has sensitive teeth, there are many sensitivity products our hygienists can apply to your teeth prior to your appointment. Our hygienists are certified and licensed to administer local anesthetic if needed during your appointment.
Towards the end of your appointment our hygienists will develop a personalized oral health care plan for you including the following: demonstrate and reinforce proper oral hygiene techniques, counsel on the link between diet, nutrition and oral health, and recommend any oral health care products to aid in the goal of maintaining healthy gums, bone, teeth, and existing or new dentistry.
A comprehensive dental exam will be performed after your prophylaxis is finished. Our hygienist will review and provide a summary if there are any areas of dental concerns.
- Diagnostic exam: Radiographs are critical for detecting decay, tumors, cysts, anatomy of your jawbone, bone loss, root positions, teeth treated with root canals and the bone contours around any dental implants.
- Oral cancer screening exam: Dr. Drone and the hygienist will perform an intra-oral cancer exam and an extra-oral cancer exam. These exams consist of the following areas: lips, tongue, throat, roof (top) of your mouth, floor (bottom) of your mouth gums, face, underneath the chin and cheek areas and the front and side of your neck.
- Gum disease exam: Dr. Drone on the hygienist will review the following: the color, texture and contours or your gums, periodontal probing measurements, gum recession, any areas of bleeding (indication of infection).
- Tooth examination: All of the teeth will be examined with the following technologies: dental telescopes, intra-oral photographs, cavity detection technology and special dental instruments.
- Existing restorations: Dental restorations such as crowns, bridges, veneers, fillings, dentures, and removable partial dentures fatigue and need replace over a lifetime. Each restoration will be critically evaluated by Drone with dental telescope, digital radiographs, intra-oral radiographs, and special dental instruments.
Services Michael Drone Dentistry & Prosthodontics Offers
Single Tooth Replacement
Multiple Teeth Replacement
Dental Implant Crowns
Dental Implant Bridges
Sleep Apnea Therapy
Ceramic Inlays & Onlays
Professional Teeth Whitening
Aesthetic Dental Bonding
Dental Cleaning Exams
Oral Hygiene and Care
Gum Disease Treatment
Bruxism & TMJ Therapy
Full Mouth Reconstruction
Teeth in an Hour
We work with a dedicated team of professionals to make sure that your experience is the absolute best it can be. From our friendly front office staff, the assistants who work closely with Dr. Drone, our hygiene staff that helps our patients walk away with beautifully clean teeth and easy-to-understand dental knowledge, to the other specialists we are honored to work with; our knowledgeable dental staff will care for you every step of the way.
Exemplary Patient Outcomes
We understand the importance of having a healthy, comfortable bite. We are able to provide each patient with excellent quality restorative dental solutions. An in-office consultation will allow us to diagnose and determine how your unique needs can best be met through our restorative dental options.